Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
What is platelet rich plasma (PRP)?
Platelets are cells in your blood that help in clotting during injuries. These cells are loaded with growth factors that help in stimuating the hair growth.PRP or Platelet rich plasma is the use of the patients own platelets, that is delivered to the hair roots to induce hair growth and prevent miniaturization of the hair follicle. It can be used as an adjuvant treatment with the topical applications or can be used with the hair transplant surgery to improve the recovery and the results.
What are the Indications for PRP – Hair?
- Male pattern hair loss
- Female pattern hair loss
- Hypotrichosis (fine/reduced hairs) of the eyebrows or beard.
What are the Indications for PRP – skin?
- Acne Scars
- Dark Circles around the eyes
- Fine line reduction
- Facial skin rejuvenation
- Hand rejuvenation
- Non healing ulcer
What are the Contraindication?
- Severe or Abnormal Platelet Count
- Chronic (or acute) infections on scalp(we treat your scalp before starting PRP sessions)
- Patients on Anti-coagulation therapy.
How is PRP helpful?
- Helps in promoting healthier hair
- Prevents further hair loss.
- Prevents further miniaturization of the hair follicle
- Regrows thicker hair
- Accelerate the process of wound healing after a hair transplant procedure
- Stimulating stem cells to induce collagen and elastin formation
- Stimulates repair of the skin
- Helps in achieving younger looking and flawless skin
How is PRP performed?
- First a small quantity of patients own blood is collected and will immediately centrifuge it in order to separate the RBC and the plasma rich in platelets.
- This plasma is then collected and injected in the scalp or in the skin where required(using insuling syringes -making it close to painless procedure)
- The session takes approximately 40mins -1hour.
What are the post procedure instruction?
Counseled about slight heavyness or soreness which will resolve in few hours.
Not to shampoo or application of any lotions or creams on scalp on the same day after procedure
Resume all normal activities the same day
Are there any side effects?
As patients own blood is being used to inject into the scalp or skin there would be no risk of a foreign body reaction or hypersensitivity .
Slight initial pain or mild redness which is transient is experienced by few patients and will settle in few hours.